Trick-or-treating is something nearly every child looks forward to. While many go for the candy, others love dressing up and getting to play with friends after dark! Either way, there’s no reason it can’t serve an additional purpose.
Last year, a dad bet his 11-year-old son Reid that he couldn’t go the entire holiday season without junk food. Reid rose to the challenge and surpassed expectations when he chose to go trick-or-treating. Rather than candy, he collected change, and then donated it to Cookies for Kids’ Cancer. Inspired by his act, we wanted to share this idea, and show how to have a fun activity your kids will love that can also make a difference.
The Idea: Trick-Or-Treat Donation Boxes
Whether you do this as a family, or round up a group of friends, this is an activity anyone will enjoy.
WHAT YOU’LL NEED
- Boxes – Shoe boxes, tissue boxes, gift boxes…
- Wrapping – Wrapping paper, craft paper, etc.
- Scissors – If you have young children, do all cutting for them or before they begin
- Tape and/or glue
- Newspapers, plastic table covers or tarps
- Markers, paint and/or crayons
- Accessories – Stickers, glitter, rhinestones…the sky’s the limit!
- Snacks – For the adults and the kids
- Have the kids dress up in their Halloween costumes to get into the spirit
- Make a playlist of Halloween songs or put a kid-friendly Halloween movie on to set the mood
Step 1: Wrap the box in paper. If the box has a lid, you can either wrap it separately, or wrap the entire box at once.
Step 2: Using scissors, box cutter or small knife, cut a slot into the top of the box where donations will go.
Step 3: Once boxes are wrapped and cutting is complete, get everything set out and ready for the kids to begin.
Step 4: Watch the kids work their magic!
Step 5: Be on stand-by in case they need help with gluing!
Step 6: Admire the masterpieces
Step 7: Congratulate them for being such Good Cookies!
Want to Be a Good Cookie and get your kids involved this Halloween? If you would like more information or have any questions, email us – Making a difference is FUN and we make it EASY!
Ready to register your event? (collecting change while trick-or-treating counts!)